Monday, April 23, 2007

Friday Allie and I traveled to Riobamba, about six hours by bus from Tena. We stayed with her host aunt who is a student in a culinary school there. She was so much fun and was beyond generous about inviting us to her house. The first night we ate Mexican food, which was amazing after not having it for so long. We ended up at an outdoor disco-tec and it was freezing compared with Tena! Saturday were huge festivals with a street parade, vendors and marching bands. In the afternoon we went to a bullfight and the the bullfighter was a woman. I could only watch one and we left before it actually ended, although it was difficult to push our way through the all the people. That night we went to an enourmous outdoor concert and a singer named Fausto Mino was the big attraction - girls kept running up on stage and hugging him during the songs. Coming back to my host family in Tena was ok and I am now in the last week of the internship. I have been doing interviews with pregnant teens about sex education, their family situations and abortion - all of which has been really interesting. So now i am sitting in an internet cafe - it is pouring outside although it is bright and sunny and i am trying to work on the big paper...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,
I'm a graduate student in Vancouver, BC, Canada. I traveled to Quito twice in the last year. I'm doing a paper on adolescent pregnancies in Ecuador. I'd love to talk to you more about your experiences. Please email me at rupbrar@gmail.com if you are interested in talking to me. Thanks