Wednesday, May 9, 2007

back to quito

so, tomorrow is the last day of classes and I had my final presentation / turned in my final paper yesterday. The presentation was about 1/2 hour long and went pretty well considering I get nervous speaking in front of people, especially in Spanish. I cannot believe how quickly this semester has gone...and classes are almost over. This coming weekend I will say good-bye to Nora (she is heading back to MN) then take an over-night bus with a friend, Aviva, to a coastal town called Puerto Lopez. I am looking forward to laying and running on the beach, reading for fun (perhaps in a a hammock) and seeing another part of the country for a few days.

My first weekend back in Quito included: cooking our own dinner with Nora & Aviva, watching "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and playing cards with the host siblings. Saturday was the first communion of Isabel, Nora's host sister, and it is a huge deal here. The lunch looked like a wedding and we dressed up....I bought some black heels for the occasion. After, the extended family and my family went back to Nora's house for a huge dance party. The host grandmother was wearing heels higher than mine and is an incredible dancer....she wore her shoes longer than I could. Our families went through a ton of whiskey as they blasted the salsa, reggaton and meringue. Nora and I went with rum and apparently her host father told Maria Paz that we looked incredibly happy....and apparently i dance better as the night goes on....around midnight I went downstairs to our apartment with my host mom (an early night for her). Sunday was a recuperation day filled with reading, working on the paper, watching "The Devil Wears Prada" and napping with my host family.

No comments: